Dr. Gandhi P C Kaza is
• Currently, Advisor to the Government of Andhra Pradesh on Forensics & Allied Police Support Services.
• Also, Advisor to the Government of West Bengal, Home, Forensic Science Services since October, 2014.
• Chairman of Truth Labs, India’s First Independent Forensic Science Laboratory, an ISO 9001 certified, non-profit public society serving the courts including the Supreme Court, High Courts, Sessions Courts etc., Police including CBI, NIA, State and City Police etc., the Delhi FSL through an MoU signed in August, 2014 as well as Banks, Insurance companies, Corporates, Consulates and individuals across the country since 2007.
• Formerly, IG of Police and Director of AP Forensic Science Labs, served 36 years in Central and State Police Organizations (1970 – 2007)
• Member, Academic Council, Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
• Member, Academic Advisory Committee, Academy of Prisons and Correctional Administration, Vellore.
• Member, Ethics Committee of Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) and several other reputed organizations.
• Co-founder of Genome Foundation to translate the advances in Human Genome to the common man of India alongwith Dr. Lalji Singh, the world renowned microbiologist.
Dr. Gandhi has a
• Ph.D in Physics from Osmania University, AP (1986)
• Master’s degree in Physics from Univ. of Rewa, MP (1969)
• Master’s degree in Gandhian thought from Madurai Kamraj University, TN (1984)
• Master’s degree in Criminal Justice from John Jay College, CUNY, New York (1987)
Dr. Gandhi’s Institutional Training Includes
Training with FBI in USA, Scotland Yard in UK, Interpol in Lyons France and familiarisations with other police establishments like RCMP in Canada, NRIPS in Japan, Bundes Kriminalante in Germany and National Police Agency in Singapore.
Dr. Gandhi’s Family Background & Career Development
Dr. Gandhi was born on 24th January 1948, just before the martyrdom of Mahatma Gandhi. Coming from a family wedded to Gandhian values and traditions, he was given the first name of Gandhi. Dr. Gandhi joined Govt. of India’s Intelligence Bureau and its Forensic Science Wing in 1970 and later joined AP State Police Service as Assistant Director Forensic Science Labs in 1976. He became APFSL’s Director in 1992 and for his distinguished services by making it the leading lab India, elevated in status to the rank of IG of Police, a distinction first of its kind in India. Also Dr. Gandhi was the key person in the initial start up phase of AP Police Academy, now reputed to be the best training institution in India.
Dr. Gandhi Led APFSL For 15 Years To Make It A Model Lab In India
• Achieved “Zero Pendency” status within the first 100 days of assuming Director position in September 1992 by reporting all cases pending over several years and thereafter maintaining 30 days turn- around-time.
• Initiated Science and Justice initiative for quick disposal of cases in a 30-30-30 Plan under which Police were insisted to submit evidence for Forensic investigation within 30 days of registration of the case with 30 days taken for forensic analysis, another 30 days for completing prosecution stage to adjudication stage, which eventually resulted in fast disposal of cases and delivery of justice.
APFSL became the first Govt. Department in India to get ISO 9001 in 1999 and the only FSL in India to get ISO 17025 also.
• APFSL became the leading forensic lab in India by handling all important and sensational cases referred to many states as well as Central Govt. (CBI, CVC, RBI, etc.) and Consulates, Corporates etc.
• Some of the notable cases handled during 1992-2007 include,
o Noida Nithari Child Murders Case
o Tehelka Tapes Case
o JMM Bribery Case
o J&K Sex Scandal Case
o Godhra Aftermath Riot cases
o Delhi High Court Judge Corruption Case
o Ahmedabad Magistrate Warrants on VIP’s Case
o Uttaranchal Police Recruitment Scandal Case
o J & K Beauty Anara Gupta Porno Tapes Case
o Judeo Cash on Camera Case
In Truth Labs, some of the sensational cases handled include,
o Prashant Bhushan and Shanti Bhusham False Audio Tape Case
o 2G Scam
o Coal Scam
o Vyapam Recruitment Academic Admissions Manipulation Case
Dr. Gandhi’s Professional/Initiatives include
• Founder of Crime Stoppers Foundation in India, started on March 12, 2007 on the historic Dandi March day to contain crime through public cooperation, as a part of International Crime Stoppers Organization successfully functioning in 23 countries including USA, UK, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Europe, etc.
• Founder of Truth Foundation, a registered public society, with the sole purpose of reviving the Indian traditions and values to uphold truth as core value in Indian public life. As part of its objectives, Truth Labs, India’s first independent forensic science laboratory was established in 2007.
• Started M.A. Criminal Justice Course for the first time in India in Andhra University (1994), professional M.Sc. Forensic Science Course in Osmania University (2000), PG Diploma course in Criminal Justice and Forensic science in University of Hyderabad (2009) and also signed MoU with NLSIU, Bangalore (2009) for organizing cyber related courses and an MoU with BHU (2014) for conducting M.Sc Course in Forensic Science.
• MoU with Microsoft for organizing nation-wide cyber security awareness programmes, one of which was conducted in September 2014 at Delhi for the Delhi Police, NIA and ED.
Dr. Gandhi’s Achievements, Awards and Distinguished Memberships include
• Professional Excellence award from Former Deputy P.M and Home Minster L.K Advani in 2002
• Distinguished Fellow Award from Indian Academy of Forensic Sciences in 2002
• Life Time Achievement award from Medical Council of India in 2004
• Distinguished Scientist award by AOAC, USA in 2005
• Great Son of the Soil award from All India Intellectuals committee in 2006
• Distinguished Member of International Association of Chiefs of Police, American Society of Crime Lab Directors and several other National and International bodies
Dedicated to Life Long Public Service
By virtue of his deep rooted commitment to selfless public service especially in law enforcement profession, he chose his career in the Govt. where he served the central and state governments for more than 36 years and retired in 2007, Dr Gandhi chose to make use of his expertise and started two non-profit organizations, Crime Stoppers Foundation and Truth Foundation, to enable people to fight crime and injustice. He continues to work for this cause and hopes to see a less crime prone society some day in the near future. Through Crime Stoppers Foundation, established at Hyderabad and Bangalore, he could resolve several hundreds of cases by collecting information from people and providing it to the law enforcement agencies for prompt investigation and detection of the cases. In order to have a focused approach towards resolving cases with the expertise gained during lifetime he devoted his full attention to establish an independent forensic science laboratory in the name of Truth Labs, which is first of its kind initiative in India. The first lab was established at Hyderabad and upon its success, four more laboratories are established at Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore and Mumbai to help people resolve their disputes quickly and effectively and today Truth Labs has become one of the most important agency for Alternate Dispute Resolution mechanism in India resolving more than 5000 cases across the nation in five years. Truth Labs now renders services to the Courts including High Courts, Police including CBI, NIA, Banks including public, private and foreign, Insurance Companies including Indian and foreign, MNCs, Corporate, Law Firms, Advocates, Detective Agencies as well as individuals and agencies from abroad.
Vision For The Future
Dr. Gandhi ultimately wants to realize during his lifetime his vision for a society which values truth as a national character and to ensure justice and equality to all in the Indian Society.